Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Freedom. Filipinos, Be Proud

DSC_0210

YESTERDAY WAS A holiday because the President shifted the schedule for reasons I can only guess. She wanted to stretch the weekend so that more money would be generated through taxes because people will have three days (instead of only two) of trooping into the malls and empty their pockets. I see it as an opportunity to spend rather than a time to reflect and revisit our history.

And the holiday was made more than a hundred years ago. Dr. Jose Rizal, Andres Bonifacio and the legions of our national heroes each had their contribution against the tyranny of Spanish occupation so that you and I, right now, can speak our hearts out, have the right to own the ground to which we stand, and live freely outside the jurisdiction of invading foreigners.

We should push the collective effort not to let our rich history remain in the doldrums, left and forgotten. Yesterday was a conversation that I wished my nephew and niece would never forget. I keep on trying to impart them the importance of education, and learning a piece of our history.

So to all my Filipino compatriots, lets be proud of ourselves! Mabuhay ang mga Pilipino!

No comments: